Friday, August 28, 2009

The Road to Owning the Wrentham Country Store

by Mary Ellen Shia

I have been buying and searching out antiques and vintage goods for many years. So I decided five years ago, that I needed to start selling some of my things.

I started out by selling in Brimfield at May's for one day during May and July. But I didn't want to be lugging my wares all over the place. I needed a permanent space. One day, a month before my wedding, I spotted a sign that read "Space for Rent". It was as simple as inquiring in the shop and the next thing I knew, I had rented a small space in a multi-dealer shop. I was on my way.

I was always a big fan of Shabby Chic, so that is what I concentrated on. I was the first in the shop to sell shabby chic. At first, they didn't know what to make of the chippy pink and green wares I was selling, since the store was filled with country and prim goods. But my goods were selling, and now of course the store is filled with shabby chic wares.

Almost 2 years ago, the previous owner told me he was moving to CA, and asked me if I wanted to take over the shop. I talked it over with my husband, Ray, who was very supportive from the very beginning. I decided to jump in and run the shop. I always said, if you want something done ask a busy person. Did I mention I also have a full time job, while running the Wrentham Country Store? People ask me all the time, how do you do it all? My answer, sometimes I don't know. But I do know, I just love the shop, I love seeing our customers excited about what we are selling and how we decorate the shop. It is definitely hard work, but I can't imagine doing anything else. I Love It.

No comments: